Hey Everybody!
I need to fill you in on my first weekend in Pamplona! After a hellish argument with the guy that works at the Train station about my numerous pieces of luggage, I finally boarded my 4 hour train ride from Barcelona to Pamplona. Somehow, I miraculously (and successfully) got my 2 heavy suitcases, computer backpack, and an impossible-to-lift duffle bag into my new apartment. Afterwards, I went to Lisa's (who lives like 5 minutes walking distance) to have dinner with her and her 3 friends from Belgium. It was a nice start
The next day I had a lonnnnng day of orientation. The orientation was nicely done with some brief, but important information nabout Navarra. We had a coffee and pastry break as well as a lunch in the little cafe at the school. Afterwards, we took a tour of the campus and of Pamplona. (I could have done without because it was COLD AS HELL). And then everybody in the program went to a bar to grab something to drink and take a break from the cold hellish weather. AT the end all of the groups met up to get pinxtos (Like tapas but smaller)at this bar until late. The first day was really good.
The second day we were supposed to go to San Sebastian... A city in spain that is about an hour awaay from Pamplona and supposed to be really nice with beaches (even though it's winter time) but there was like a freakin blizzard so it had to be cancelled. So Instead, a whole bunch of people in the program went iceskating. I went to lisa's Belgium friend's house for another dinner, and then a whole bunch of people from the program came over and we went to some bars in Pamplona.
The people in the Erasmus program (an international exchange with only people from Europe, even though the Americans are considered erasmus kids) are cool and I've met people from all over. Belgium, Germany, Columbia, Canada, Portugal, France, Italy.. etc.
As for academics (that's what i'm here for right?) I had my first day of class today. I only went to one class because none of the classes that I had planned to go to were possible and now I have to figure out a new schedule with the counselor. The one classs that I did go to was hard, and I'm the only american in a class of Spaniards and the teacher speaks really fast. It was awkward to say the least. I emailed the international conselor (with no response) and the counselors at home are NOT helpful. I'm going in today to see if i can talk to someone about the classes again.
I've enjoyed my weekend a lot but I don't know.. All in all, I'm thinking about coming back to Texas. There's really not much to do here in Pamplona, it's small and I think i've already seen everything. The landscapes are pretty with mountains and lots of greenery (or snow in this case). My roommates are nice, even though the language barrier makes me feel like the strange foreign kid that doesn't know Spanish. But my classes count in my GPA so I don't want to ruin it by spending my whole semester trying to figue out what my teacher is saying... I really want to learn spanish.. but i'm not sure at the expense of my grades and maybe even a little bit of my insanity. Also I want to avoid the vortex of only hanging ot with Erasmus students.. If I do that I won't learn Spanish.. and what is the point of being here? I miss you guys and my friends and UT (hook 'em) and texas... I had fun this weekend in Pamplona, but i know I could have a lot of fun in Austin as well. On the other hand,if I go home now without learning spanish proficiently, i'll feel like I've failed at my ultimate goal and I know I won't have this opportunity again (no matter how little there is to do here)and you know I can't have that! Anyways. I love you guys! UT classes start the 18th and my registration is the 14th... gotta decide FAST! Need a little guardian angel to tell me what to do! See you guys soon! (maybe sooner than later!)
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Stay, learn Spanish, meet new people, and explore a new part of Spain. Austin will be here when you get back!
ReplyDeleteMy vote is that you stay, learn Spanish, meet new people, and explore a new part of Spain -- and that Austin will be here when you get back! Remember to travel as much as you can on weekends, too. You will never have this time again to enjoy time in a foreign country. When you're all done with school and start in the real world, you get only two to three weeks of vacation time a year -- this is YOUR TIME. Make the most of it -- I promise, promise, promise that you'll look back one day and wish you had spent the full year there if you come back early. Stay and meet a handsome man! We miss you tons!!!!!!! I love you! Glad you are having so much fun!! Stay warm, baby girl!
ReplyDeleteI have mixed feelings. I want you home and your GPA to kick ass. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a teacher that speaks to damn quickly. However, I say stay. By a tape recorder or digital voice recorder and record your classes. If you don't understand what the hell your professor is saying, listen to your recordings. Sneak it in your bag if they don't allow you to record. See a different part of Spain and Europe. You may not get a chance to experience Europe like you are now every again. Love you and stay away from Spanish boys!
ReplyDeleteI am sorry. Buy a tape recorder or digital voice recorder. Hell, I can't spell..It is 3 in the morning.
ReplyDelete